2018 Climbing School
About The School
The New Mexico Mountain Club Technical Climbing Section hosts an annual climb school open to all members. The course is designed as an introduction to students to learn how to stay safe while climbing. It is not intended to make you a better climber, but a safer climber. You will have the opportunity to learn and practice basic climbing knots, rope management, climber communication, belaying, and rappelling.
Skills Taught in the Course
- Ropes, Knots and Hitches.
- Coil a Rope with butterfly/pack-coil method.
- Throw rope for top rope or rappel use.
- Demonstrate/explain use of standard climbing signals used by the NMMC.
- Belay and climb skills - e.g. rope tie-in; loading and use of belay device; exchange of verbal, visual, and hands on safety checks; use of standard climb signals.
- Belay from lower stance, catching and holding a climber's top rope fall.
- Belay from upper stance, catching and holding a climber’s top rope fall.
- Lead belay, catching and holding a climber's lead fall.
- Demonstrate top rope climbing.
- Rappel Skills (protected by backup belay).
- Demonstrate low or high angle rappel using mechanical rappel device.
- Demonstrate high angle rappel using rappel device, including leg-wrap tie-off.
- Ascend an anchored top rope with prusik hitches; include backup tie-offs (protected by backup belay).
- Tie off a fallen climber with a mule knot to "hands free” (protected by backup belay).
- Demonstrate cleaning sport anchors.
- Participate in a multi-pitch climb.
Before registering for the school, please ensure you are available on the following dates.
Attendance of all classes is mandatory unless noted.
Tuesday, April 3rd, 2018 (6:30pm – 9pm)
Session 1: Knot Night - Introductory lecture & knot practice
Location: La Cueva High School (in the gymnasium)
Saturday, April 7th OR Sunday, April 8th (7am - all day)
Outdoor Session 1
Location: Lower La Cueva Canyon
Saturday, April 14th (7am - all day)
Outdoor Session 2
Location: White Rock
OPTIONAL: Monday, April 16th (7:30pm - 9pm)
Movement clinic at Stone Age Climbing Gym
Saturday, April 21st (7am - all day)
Outdoor Session 3
Location: Box Canyon, Socorro
Climb School Class Discussion and Final Exam - Date and location to be determined
Climb School Party! - Date to be determined
April - May (weekends)
Multi-Pitch Graduation Climbs
Dates will be coordinated privately with each student
Documents & Links
For Leaders & Assistants
For returning students interested in helping, assistants, and leaders, there will be two practice sessions to refresh skills taught in the course. There will be demonstrations and practice opportunities for all skills, for those that attend. Those that are interested in assisting in the climb school, and haven't previously attended as a student, can email email@example.com.
Wednesday, March 21, 2018
Pre-Climb School Practice Session 1 (Indoor session for leaders/assistants)
Time: 6:30pm to 9:00pm
Location: Pat Barr's House - 14106 Arcadia Rd NE Albuquerque, NM 87123
Sunday, March 25, 2018
Pre-Climb School Practice Session 2 (Outdoor session for leaders/assistants)
Time: 8:00am to 2:00pm
Location: Ranger Station Crag, Tijeras, NM
Stone Age Climbing Gym is offering the following gear discounts for NM Mountain Club students:
- Personal Anchor System (Metolius PAS 22) $28.85 (normally $33.95)
- Petzl William Screw Gate Carabiners (need 2) $17.81 each (normally $20.95)
- Petzl Corax Kit or BD Primrose Harness Package $84.95 (normally $99.95)
Package includes belay/rappel device, 3rd locking carabiner, chalk bag, chalk
DISCOUNTED PRICE: $149.52
OPTIONAL: 15% Off any helmet or shoes in the store
How To Sign Up
Interested students must preregister by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Official registration for the climbing school will be held at the New Mexico Mountain Club's General Meeting on February 21, 2018 at 7pm
Immanuel Presbyterian Church
114 Carlisle Blvd SE
Albuquerque, NM 87106